FUZE is the UK’s largest student-run Fashion, Dance and Music event. Run solely by Bristol University students, entirely for charity. Having run for several years, FUZE has grown over the years in professionalism, size and calibre. It fuses group and formation dances with sections containing music and fashion walk of internationally reknowned labels in a revue-style manner. Guided by a destinct theme, each year’s show presents a different stage layout, technological configuration, and special effects.
Skills involved and achievements
- Leading the production of the show’s concept in terms of tech, scheduling, and production finances.
- Devising the production’s overall aesthetic and found technological solutions that work smoothly with the choreographers’ and fashion directors’ demands on the performative aesthetics of the show.
- Leading the pre-production meetings with lighting and sound designers and choreographers.
- Leading the on-site production and assuming the role of head production stage manager.
- Leading dry techs, blocking rehearsals, tech rehearsals, and dress rehearsals.
- Worked closely with production company in realising the show’s technological demands.
- Point of contact for everything relating to stage effects, conceptual design, show concept, and safety.
- Due to unforeseen circumstances in Britain’s domestic political sphere in 2016/7, the project had to be re-calibrated short-term to fit a new financial frame. The technological aspects were adjusted to still meet the overall aesthetic that FUZE had aimed for.
The gallery image of the larger stage shows the original stage concept, including a revolving stage, water fountains, LED outline, backdrop blender matrix, satellite stage.